Today Aireen, my schools reading recovery teacher, led a meeting about the changes about the ready to read series.
Changes in Ready to Read series -
- the levelling process has been changed to make the difficulty more gradual and steady
- Orange and above have a approximate year level equivalent
- Existing texts were audited and some were relevelled (either colours or sub-levels). Those that did change were re-printed and sent to schools with new levels.
- They have identified gaps in the series which will be filled over time.
- Planning is underway for more non-fiction books.
- Students entering school at 5 years old do not need to start guided reading at Magenta level - rather their goal is to develop early print concepts (e.g. reading from left to right, expecting the story to make sense and have a message, words have meaning).
- Here is a list of ALL the RTR books with updated levels
Questions I asked -
- How long is it supposed to take to move from one colour to another? One sub-level to another? If it is taking longer than that, what can I do?
- Are you supposed to use PM/RTR or both?